Friday, October 10, 2008

Meal Plan?!?

So, I have been reading about meal plans lately. There are some enthusiastic bloggers who have had great success with this. Some people do a plan each week, some prefer a monthly plan. I have attempted meal plans in the past, and have not been very successful, but the it looks like it is time to try again -- to save money and especially to lower the stress around dinner time.

I am debating between a monthly or weekly plan. Should I just jump off the deep end and tackle the entire month at once? I am going to try one week at a time for a month. Does anyone have some tips for getting started? How do I avoid the pitfalls that have foiled my plans in the past?

Check back in a few weeks to see how it goes!

3 comments:

jennifer said...

Hey Christy! This is blog is great!!

So, I usually do a meal plan for the week. No matter how hard I try, it always seems to change as something comes up. That is why I don't do the whole month thing...I am afraid we wouldn't follow it and it would be frustrating.

I make our meal list on Wednesday nights and then go shopping on Thursday morning while Kennan is at school. I try to use up things we already have by checking out the pantry and fridge as I am making the list. (We are pretty bad about buying and not using.) Pretty simple, but it works for us!

A friend from high school just started up a cooking blog and she lists different recipe ideas and her meal plans for the week. You should check it out!! www.icooktexas.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Thanks! Great tips. I'll check out icooktexas.blogspot.com

Christy

Alisa said...

I do a weekly meal plan -- I save a lot on groceries because I buy what I need and not just stuff (what my mom did) and I also always check what we have. I don't say what night a meal will be on because that seems too restrictive. We just go with the flow and pick one meal a day from the list.