Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Deodorizer and Cleaner

This is an additional post in my series on "Greener Cleaners".

I have been frustrated with my smelly diaper pail. I have tried all sorts of thing, but its in like the plastic has absorbed the smell over time. I use Lysol every time I change it, and that chemical smell hangs in the air for hours.

This week I tried something new that I read in this book, Clean House, Clean Planet.

Garbage-Can Deodorizer and Cleaner --
Ingredients
: Baking Soda and an essential oil

Mix baking soda with a few drops of an essential oil. I used orange because I already had some on hand, but the book recommends peppermint oil. After cleaning the garbage can, sprinkle on some scented baking soda.

I was amazed at how effective this was at killing the odor entirely. And there is a fresh orange scent every time I dispose of a dirty diaper.

2 comments:

BlueCastle said...

I love that book. I made the baking soda/salt scrub to use in the kitchen and added orange essential oil - because I was out of peppermint :) - and I just love the way it smells.

I'm glad you found something to work for that yucky diaper pail smell. :)

Christy said...

It is a great book. I read your post about the baking soda & salt scrub and am excited to try it.