Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let another praise you ...

Words That Heal - Chapter 2: "Aren't I Terrific?"

"Let another praise you, and not your own mouth;
someone else, and not your own lips.
" (Proverbs 27:2)

I didn't considered myself to be a boastful person, but this chapter on bragging challenged my thoughts and attitude. It is not about the overt bragging, it is about the subtle hints used to make yourself look better to other people.

Name-dropping. Place-dropping. Event-dropping. I have discovered that I am very skilled at working my importance into conversation using these techniques. Hmmm ... Did I just mention "in passing" that I know "so-in-so" (this great famous person)?

There are times when this is completely innocent, and I am just having conversation. Oh, but there are too many times when I plot in my head how to work in a comment about a place I have been or something I have done that might impress you. So little, so subtle, so prideful.

The same information could have been relayed in a humble way (or left unsaid), instead of praising myself. In this chapter, Mayhall states that "the difference between sharing information and boasting is in who gets the glory." Did my words make me look better? Or did I give praise where it is due? Did my heart seek to glorify God with my words? Did I speak to build up and edify my hearers?

"Lord, forgive my prideful heart and bragging words. Make me sensitive to boasting in my life and give me the strength and grace to change those areas. Teach me to edify and lift up those around me. Help me to always give you the praise. May the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart bring glory to your name."

--
I am currently reading Words That Hurt, Words That Heal by Carole Mayhall.
All unmarked quotes in this post are from Chapter 2 of this book.
Check out the other posts in this series.

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Hmm... Thanks for sharing. It certainly gives one something to check our motives and attitudes on.

Anonymous said...

i read this post a few days ago, and was so convicted earlier today when i found myself so easily entangled in pride. Thanks for sharing this truth!