Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Words that Hurt, Words that Heal

I have joined a new Bible study group here in Aberdeen. It is a ladies group comprised mainly of Americans and Canadians expats who are here while their husbands study at the University of Aberdeen.

For the fall, we are reading "Words That Hurt, Words That Heal" by Carole Mayhall.

The Bible tells us that our mouths are to be a fountain of life, but so many times our daily interactions with family, friends and even strangers show that we are far from this goal.

James also warns us that our tongues are "a fire, a world of wickedness ... contaminating and depraving the whole body ... being itself ignited by hell." (James 3:6 AMP)

This book explores the many ways we "curse" with our tongues while trying to praise God -- Can a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and salt water?

As we read through this book and study what scripture says about our tongue, I will share how God is working in my own life, teaching me to control my mouth.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)

1 comment:

Ruby said...

I will look forward to following along with that. The tongue is indeed a little member, which causes much strife if uncontrolled. But can bless and praise, too.