Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Lord's Discipline

Create in Me a Clean Heart - Week 5
Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger, nor chasten me in your hot displeasure. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak ... My soul also is greatly troubled ...
Psalm 6:1-3
This week's Clean Heart devotion is about the discipline we receive from God. I use to be afraid of the idea of receiving discipline from the Lord, especially with the legalistic view that I could never keep the "law."

But becoming a parent has brought new light to my perspective on discipline. "As a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you." (Deut 8:5)

Why do I discipline my children? Because I am mad at them? The rules, and discipline for breaking them, are to keep my children safe, and to teach them character and self-control. Yes, it is to TEACH them, not to control them.

In light of how I love my children and have no desire to hurt them, but rather desire to raise them in the "training and instruction from the Lord." (Eph 6:4)


Lord, I thank you for your mercy toward me. I welcome your discipline in my life, that I may learn the lessons you desire to teach me. Thank you for transforming me into the image of your Son! AMEN

No comments: