Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hats & Scarves

Since the tackling all my paper problems last month, I have been neglecting my "problem areas." I was overwhelmed by the size of my projects and couldn't get up the motivation to start something I knew there wasn't time to finish.

Our entry closet is the next big problem area that I need to tackle. I would love to just pull everything out, sort it all (PURGE) and put it all back in an organized fashion. But in reality, I would get it all pulled out and barely start the sorting when something (children) would need my immediate and extended attention. The end of the day would come, my hubby would come home and I (along with a kid or two) would be surrounded by piles of stuff from the closet and ready to cry.

What I really need to do is think smaller, break the projects down into manageable pieces. So, today I had a few minutes (about 20) to spend on a project before my daughter woke up from her nap. What project could I complete in just a few minutes? I decided to tackle the winter wear that has been piling up in the top of our closet. It has been a source of frustration for months now, never being able to find that matching glove, or grabbing three hats out before finding one that still fits the kids.

Here is how I was storing the hats, gloves and scarves before --
in a big box on the top of the closet.


And here is my solution to this disaster.
I used a shoe sorter that is designed to hang on the back of the door.

Now everyone can find their winter accessories quickly. The kids can even reach their own, making them feel important and helping us get out the door little bit faster!

For more great "tackles", check out Tackle It Tuesday hosted by 5 Minutes for Mom. (yes, I know it is Wednesday... but better late than never, right?)

9 comments:

BlueCastle said...

Very good idea! Isn't it funny how those winter things multiply? It's kind of like my kids' toys - I think they procreate at night. :)

Alisa said...

Our entry closet has been a sore spot for me also. The hats and mittens remain in basket, jumbled up together, missing their matching parts. I've now been intending to buy cubbies for them but thus far, have not gotten that far... some day!

Christy said...

Thanks, ladies, for your comments!

It is crazy how quickly the pile grows and things (gloves especially) disappear.

My hubby was my motivation for this mini-project. I made him go to multiple stores weeks ago looking for a door hanging organizer at a reasonable price. I really needed to use it before winter ended, or he would be sure to say something. =)

judahmo said...

What a good idea! We currently keep a Sterilite drawer cart in the hall closet for the winter gear. It works, but it takes up a lot more room than the over the door hanger.
Shannon

Christy said...

It is a great space saver. And so far it has been working great! (much better than the box did).

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Great tackle!

Christy said...

Thanks, ladies, for visiting and posting. See you in the blogging world.

jennifer said...

Good idea! That closet at CRW was also a pain for me...a great catch-all. And great to make mini-projects so it isn't as overwhelming!

Christy said...

Exactly, they are the catch-all. But it is better than not having a closet at all.

My hubby was inspired by my work on the closet, that he attacked the pile on the floor yesterday. There is still more to go, but it's so much better.