Sunday, March 15, 2009

Do You Need A "Time-Out"?

Create in Me a Clean Heart - Week 10

"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing.

She came to Jesus and said, 'Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.'

But the Lord said to her,'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.'"

Luke 10:38-42 (NLT)


I was reminded this week what is most important in life. As I have been encouraged through this devotional series to "get organized", it was good to be reminded to always keep the tasks for each day secondary to my relationships -- with God, my husband, my children, my friends, etc.

This passage of scripture provides such beautiful imagery of our time with the Lord. I would love to be found each day sitting at his feet, basking in his presence. And there is no higher example I would like to provide for my children.

There are always things to get done, and they need to be done, but there also must be time to sit -- with my children on the floor as they play, with my friends, with my husband, and with my Lord at his feet as he teaches and encourages and transforms me.


Lord,
Thank you for the precious lives and relationships you have blessed me with. Remind me daily to be like Mary, not Martha, and choose Jesus and people over house work.

Please help me get done the things that you want me to accomplish for each day, and help me to respond properly to any interruptions to my schedule. Give me peace in knowing that I will get it all done in your timing.
Amen.

No comments: