Sunday, March 22, 2009

Written On Your Forehead!

Create in Me a Clean Heart - Week 11

"…Make straight your way before my face."
Psalm 5:8

The devotion for the week was about keeping our focus on God and his will for our lives. We know God has a plan, a purpose for our lives. He has called us to participate in his plan for creation, for humanity, for eternity. What an abundant and amazing life we are called to! Yet we forget who we are; thus, the need for it to be “written on your forehead.”

This brought to mind the Shema (from the Hebrew for “hear”), the Jewish confession of faith.
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon you hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door-frames of your houses and on your gates.”

I think about how my life would be impacted if I kept the word of God and his will for my life this present in my daily life. Too many times, I lose my focus in the urgency of the day. Throughout this week, however, I felt the Spirit calling me back to peace, back to God’s plan for my day.

Lord,
Thank you for your goodness and your faithfulness; thank you for caring enough for me to have a plan for me. I pray that Your will, Your plan, would be clear to me as I got about each day this week. I know that your plan for me is not just for some future time, but for today as well. Remind me throughout my day to focus on You and Your plan, not my own.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.

No comments: