Friday, June 19, 2009

Blitz-It Friday - Picture Organization Week #3

I had a great week working on this project. But sorry, no pictures this week. Here were my goals and what I was able to get done.

GOALS FROM LAST WEEK (JUNE 13 - 19):

Goal 1: Spend at least one hour blitzing this project
This week I was able to spend three one-hour blitzing sessions. I spent two hours sorting letters, notes, souvenirs, etc. I decided to tackle all the letters and cards that have been waiting in my file cabinet at the same time. I was able to reduce everything down to one box of letters and one box of souvenirs.

Goal 2: Begin converting negatives to CD
Last week I was bemoaning the fact that it would cost over $650 at Sam's Club (the cheapest option) to convert our 85 rolls of film.

I was talking with my hubby about how much we could actually budget to spend on this. In the middle of our conversation, he paused, grabbed his computer, looked something up online, then smiled at me. The school has a negative scanner that I can use for FREE. WooHoo!

I spent one hour at the library this week, to learn how to use the scanner and to start actually scanning. Now I have a pretty good idea how long it would take to scan everything. TOO LONG! I do not have 80+ hours to scan every roll of film. I will need to prioritize the rolls to scan and just leave the rest for another time.

Goal 3: Sort the pictures that need to be scanned
I started sorting pictures that need to be scanned, but haven't gotten very far. First I need to determine which pictures that don't have negatives, but that are important enough to spend the time scanning. I will need to work on this more next week.

Goal 4: Create a more-detailed project plan
I was only planning on spending another 11 days on this project. That should be enough time to finish sorting all the remaining stuff on the top of the closet. However, that will probably not be enough time to complete all the scanning I was hoping to get done. Once I am done sorting, I will have a better idea how much time I need for scanning.


GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK (JUNE 20 - 26):
  1. Spend at least two hours blitzing
  2. Continue scanning negatives
  3. Finish sorting the pictures to be scanned
  4. Begin scanning pictures
  5. Sort through remaining stuff in the top of the closet
  6. Finalize the project plan and time line.
I am getting more aggressive with my goals for this week. I cannot afford to spend all summer on this project. There are too many other areas that need my attention.

Stop by Organized Everyday for more projects that are being blitzed.

2 comments:

Jena Webber said...

That's a good idea to decide how much time something should take and what you are willing to spend on it. I'm so glad you found a free option. Even if something is free, it doesn't make it free in TIME...ugh. So proud of you for working so hard.. Sometimes I get discouraged that there's only 3 of us doing this, but then I think: HEY that's 3 of us, out of the masses who are going to say we got something done this summer!

Eos Mom said...

You are making so much progress on this project, it's really inspiring! Keep up the good work!