Friday, June 26, 2009

A Closer Walk with Him!

Create in Me a Clean Heart - Week 24
~ This weekly devotional can be found on Facebook. ~

"My dear child, don't shrug off God's discipline ... God is educating you; that's why you must never drop out. He's treating you as dear children. This trouble you're in isn't punishment; it's training, the normal experience of children.... At the time, discipline isn't much fun. It always feels like it's going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it's the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God."
Hebrews 12:7,11

I just loved this paraphrase of Hebrews 12. Discipline is really education, not punishment. Isn't that exactly how I treat my children? I am training them how to live with self control and wisdom.

But the most beautiful part, discipline can lead to maturity, and especially maturity in our relationship with God. Isn't that the true desire of my heart? To walk more closely with my God? I want to be stretched, corrected, taught.

Dear Lord,
Although it is hard to receive it at time, I need your discipline in my life. Teach me, correct me, train me, discipline me - that I may grow up to be mature and fruitful in my relationship with you. I pray that I will learn from my mistakes to avoid going through them again. Thank you that you love me enough to discipline me and that you desire me to grow into something better than I am right now.
In Jesus' Name,
AMEN

No comments: