Sunday, May 31, 2009

Less Is Best

Create in Me a Clean Heart - Week 21
~ This weekly devotional can be found on Facebook; the group is called "A Clean Heart." ~

"Better is a dry morsel with quietness, than a house full of feasting with strife."
Proverbs 17:1

This week's devotional was a perfect reminder of the benefits of all the purging I have been doing for the last several weeks - less is best. There is a freedom and peace in not having so much clutter and stuff to maintain.

I originally meditated on this devotion last Sunday, but have prayed this prayer several times this week - as I sorted through the clothes I had saved from the kids, as I got rid of all the maternity clothes I had "just in case", as I purged the book cases of books I meant to read but never have.

Yesterday we sold all the stuff we had purged in a yard sale. There was no sense of loss, just a feeling of peace and joy as everything we sold our extra "baggage" to people who will hopefully enjoying using it. God has been so faithful!

We still have a long way to go before we have purged every area of our home, but I am encouraged and know that God will answer every time I cry out for help.

Lord,
I have saved too many things over the years and, as a result, I have too much clutter. I have attached to much value and meaning to ‘things’ and have a hard time letting go. Release me from these feelings that prevent me from getting my home in order. Guide me so that I know what to keep and what to clear out. Teach me to trust you for all that I need, so that I can get rid of the things that I haven’t used, looked at, taken out, or needed in years. Give me peace as I purge our home of all this stuff. Thank you for your blessings and for your provision in all our needs.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

No comments: